As a Board-Certified Endodontist, a Diplomate of the American Board of Endodontics, Dr. Sullivan operates a private practice in Jacksonville, Florida with a soon-to-open second practice in St. Johns. His endodontic certificate, Master of Science in Dental Sciences, and DMD degrees were awarded by the University of Florida. Additional degrees include a Mechanical Engineering Master of Science from the University of Colorado and Biological Engineering Bachelor of Science from North Carolina State University.
Prior to his transition to dentistry, he served as a forensic engineer with Knott Laboratory in Denver, Colorado as well as a Process Engineer with Bayer Corporation in Clayton, North Carolina.
During his endodontic residency, Dr. Sullivan presented his research at annual meetings of the American Association of Endodontists at locations including Vancouver, Orlando, San Diego, and San Antonio. Professional organization affiliation includes membership in the American Association of Endodontists, American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, and Jacksonville Dental Society.
Educational and employment endeavors have given Dr. Sullivan the opportunity to live in seven states, two countries (England and Australia), and St. Thomas. His wife, Dr. Laura Sullivan, also operates in private practice as a pediatric dentist. They enjoy their time together participating in many outdoor activities including paddle boarding, wakeboarding, fishing, and snowboarding.
Dr. Sullivan has been active in research to make sure his techniques and treatment are the best available. He has authored, or co-authored, the following publications:
- J. Sullivan, S. Manne. L. Shaddox, C. Walker. R. Pileggi. The Antimicrobial Property of a New Ultrasonic Irrigation Needle Device Against E. faecalis Biofilm. J. Endod 2010, 36:576. (abstract)
- J. Sullivan, R. Pileggi, C.H. Varella. Subcutaneous Facial Emphysema due to the use of Pressurized air During Radicular Perforation Repair. J. Endod 2009, 35:459. (abstract)
- J. Sullivan, R. Pileggi, C. Varella. Evaluation of Root-End Resections Performed by Er, Cr: YSGG Laser with and without Placement of a Root-End Filling Material. Int J Dent. 2009:798786. Epub 2009 Aug 6.
- J. Sullivan, R. Pileggi, C.H. Varella. Evaluation of Root-End Resections Performed by Er,Cr:YSGG Laser Compared to Lindeman Carbide Bur With and Without the Placement of a Root-end Filling Material. J. Endod 2008, 34:373. (abstract)
- R.W. Heydrich, C.H. Varella, J. Sullivan, L. Baccaglini, R. Pileggi. A quantitative SEM analysis of canal cleanliness utilizing different irrigating solutions. J Endod 2008, 34, 343.(abstract)
- H. Shelton, J. Sullivan, K. Gall. Analysis of the Fatigue Failure of a Mountain Bike Front Shock. Engineering Failure Analysis 2004, 11, 375.
- J. Sullivan, G. Baughman. Go-Cart for a Child with Spina Bifida. NSF 2001, 104.
Shelia coordinates all aspects of patient care. In addition to scheduling, and registering patients she can answer any questions you may have about your insurance benefits. She is the newest employee to St. Johns Endodontics after many years as a consultant to dental offices. She has been a wonderful addition to our staff.
Maggie assists with the front desk, scheduling appointments, answering the phone and communicating with other dental offices. She is happy to assist you with anything you need. She is responsible for all aspects of marking. In addition, is an American Heart Association CPR instructor that would be happy to conduct classes at your convenience.
Christi is a native of Jacksonville and has more than 5 years of experience in both general and pediatric dental offices. She is a very cheerful, caring and compassionate person. She primarily serves as a chair side dental assistant and coordinates ordering supplies and equipment.
Amber is a native of St. Mary's, GA and has two years of experience in general and cosmetic dentistry. She is very dedicated and easy going. She serves as our patient coordinator and works as a dental assistant.
Katie is from Gainesville and is a dental assistant that was certified with the University of Florida, College of Dentistry. She has been an assistant for five years and has experience in oral surgery, general dentistry, and endodontics. She is a dedicated and conscientious staff member that takes excellent care of our patients.